1. Technically An SSL certificate is a digital data file installed on your web server that links a cryptographic key to your companies details.
2.Once installed It activates the padlock icon on your visitors browsers and the https:// protocol, allowing secure connections from a web server to a browser.
See the image below which shows the difference between a website protected with an SSL Certificate and one without SSL protection.
When a visitor visits your website, data is transfered between your website and their computer. Any computer in between their computer and your web server can see their sensitive information such as credit card numbers, usernames, passwords and more if it is not encrypted with a trusted SSL certificate. After installing an SSL certificate, the information is encypted and becomes unreadable to everyone except for the server they are sending their information to.
- Your SSL certificate will protect your sensitive information as it travels the global computer networks.
- It provides privacy, security and data integrity. Not only for your website, but for your website users’ personal information.
- After installing an SSL certificate, your information becomes “unreadable” to everyone except the server you are sending information to. This protects against hackers and identity thieves.
- An SSL certificate from a trusted provider will also promote trust in your website users. Visuals such as a lock or green bar will let users know they are on a secure connection.
- Trusted SSL providers will only issue an SSL certificate to a verified company that has gone through several identity checks.
- A proper SSL certificate will also provide authentication.
As of July 2018 Google Chrome (the most used browser on the planet at the time will begin to show security warnings eg: “Not Secure” on all sites that do not have SSL enabled. This can potentially frighten off new visitors to your site, especially ecommerce sites.
So, What can I do about it?
Ok the simplest solution is to organise an SSL certificate for your website. Costs can vary greatly, from around $40 AUD to $400 AUD for the certificate alone. Then you’ll need to get it installed as well.
Thatwebcompany uses and recommends Rapid SSL who provide great prices on SSL Certificates and have good customer service if you have any questions or require assistance with installation.
For more information please contact That Web Company